Monday, October 13, 2008

"I Love Lucy"

I grew up watching television shows like “Lassie”, “Leave It To Beaver”, “The Andy Griffith Show” and “I Love Lucy”. I am sure most of you did too- or have at least seen them. Their reruns are still being aired.

The show “I Love Lucy” was certainly titled correctly- after all- we all love Lucy. She was a very funny lady. Her mad cap antics kept us in stitches. She could get herself, her side-kick Ethel, Fred and Ricky into the most predicaments.

Lucy was a “go getter”. If she wanted it, she went after it. She didn’t let her husband’s “no’s” stand in the way. She always found a way to “finagle” her way around him through one of her “hair brained” schemes. She would plot and plan trying to manipulate Ricky to say “yes” and let her have her way. While we loved laughing at and with Lucy (I am strictly referring to the character- not the actress Lucille Ball herself), it is one thing to watch on a television screen her insistent pursuit to have her way, it is another to adopt her methods and use them as a guideline in real life to get what you want.

Her example of manipulation (and, yes, that’s exactly what it was) is not a good example to follow. As a follower of Jesus Christ I have learned that getting my way through manipulation is never the best choice- or the “God” choice. The Bible is clear that manipulation is witchcraft, and witchcraft has no part in the Christian life.

Do I always get my way? No. Do I always need to get my way? No. Is it always in my best interest to have my way? No. But if it is in my best interest and it’s God’s will for me but my husband is not willing to let me have it, or do it, I don’t have to manipulate him or the situation in order for it to go in my favor. I have a Heavenly Father that I can go to in prayer about the situation. He knows how to orchestrate, change and turn things around so that they work together for my good because I love Him and am called according to His purpose.

Lucy often discovered that when she finally did get her way, she wished she hadn’t. She also discovered that if she had waited and been a little more patient Ricky had already changed his mind. I don’t have to fight my own battles- with anyone- if I turn them over to God He will do it for me—if it is in accordance to His plan for my life. So I’ll wait and let Him do it! "The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." (Exodus 14:14)

"Glitter Girls" know that it is always in our best interest to wait patiently for God to move on our behalf and not try to manipulate the situation ourselves.

No comments: