Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Shave Your Legs!"

Ok, I confess… I HATE to shave!! I don’t know who- or why- ever came up with the idea that women should shave their legs! Honestly, it is a PAIN! (Oops, it sounds like I am complaining- better watch that- Father doesn’t like complaining!) I guess I should put it this way- while I don’t like to do it, I am thankful that I can.

Since it’s not one of those things I like to do, why do I do it? Surely, I am “liberated” enough that I don’t have to do what everyone else is doing? Shaving is not one of those things that I do for myself. I do it for my husband. He likes my legs shaven. He doesn’t like to be stuck by “porcupine” needles, or rub up against a “Brillo” pad, or not be able to tell if he is rubbing his own leg or mine.

The reality of it is, most of what we do we do for others- it’s not about us. (Shaving is not about me- I can live without it.) As daughters of our Heavenly Father our lives are not about us, they are about: Him and them! What we do, the way we conduct our lives, should always be putting others first- their comfort, their needs, their happiness. I know, this sounds so contradictory to what we are taught and what society tells us. But this is what the Bible teaches. Therefore, this conduct is what is pleasing to the Father.

Is shaving a big deal? Will it be the end of the world if I don’t? Can I live with unshaven legs? But will it make my husband happier if I do?

“Love each other as brothers and sisters and honor others more than you do yourself.” (Romans 12:10- CEV)

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Too funny and sooo true!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Yep, I really don't like to shave either...lol..you get to be my age and you won't have to worry about it. Mine just disappeared...But the truth is we don't do it for ourselves we do it for others. And that's what we're suppose to do.